Friday, June 14, 2013

How our Family is Homeschooling

This is our first year of homeschooling and I wanted to share what we are doing. I choose to homeschool because the school that is in our district I don't care for. We have family members that attended the school and I really didn't like the no parents on campus rule. I understand that children safety is #1 but its sad to think that it has had to come to banning parents from campus! My baby is barely going to be 5 and I am that momma that wants to be involved! I don't mind helping. I remember being in school and there was always a mom helping out in class. I also tried to enroll my son in a local charter school however that did not pull through :( So after researching I found online homeschool!

We live in California and enrolled in CAVA. California Virtual Academies

http://www.k12.com/cava/home#.UbtAGyDn_VI


Click on the link about if interested :)


So what I love about it so far is:

1. They are soo kind and helpful! They day after I filled out the application online I was contacted to go over everything and to do an over the phone interview. I am someone who had a lot of questions and they were very supportive!
2. You have support! Your child is assigned to a teacher that your are required to keep in contact with through e mail and phone. You can meet with them in person at anytime!
3. Its free! Everything you need you will be sent through mail!
4. Its a public school through the state of California. I do not have to worry about registering as a private school or worry about getting in trouble for not having my child in school. ( if u live in another state there should be one in your area)

I read a lot of reviews and some people love it and others hate it. I read that a lot of mothers that were involved loved it. They mentioned that its not something that you tell your child to do and then never monitor. I also read that if you are assigned a teacher that you feel does not works well with your family you can request another one.

I will be updating our experiences with this program!!! Also I will be uploading a video of our curriculum we receive :)

Also I should mention the curriculum used is K12.....
 


 Let me know if you have any questions!

2 comments:

  1. Wishing you all the best in your new adventure! I'm about to begin my final year of homeschooling, after 22 years! You'll love it :)

    Lisa @ http://www.homeschoolmemo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That is AWESOME!! Thank You so much for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete