Thursday, June 27, 2013

Homemade Fondant

This weekend is my nephews birthday party and he is having a Lego themed party. I am making some Cupcakes and Cake Pops and I am really excited! The Cupcakes are going to be the Ninja Legos and the Cake Pops are going to be the original Lego heads. I will post pictures of them both but I wanted to share with you a Homemade Fondant Recipe that I found a few years back. When I originally started baking I was very into cakes. I experimented quite a bit with fondant but it was very difficult to cover a cake with. I did a couple of cakes but I didn't love how they came out. I stayed away from fondant and started making my own frosting and fell in love with Cupcakes and then later Cake Pops. The reason I decided to use Fondant again was because I am only making the Ninja's masks out of them. This will be sooo much easier than having to roll out enough Fondant to cover a cake!


So here it is..........




You just need a bag of marshmallows and a 2lb bag of powdered sugar

You will need to melt the marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl until smooth
                (melted marshmallows are shown on the right blue bowl)
I also am going to color my fondant so I am using this AmeriColor gel from Hobby Lobby to color my fondant

Add your melted marshmallows to the powdered sugar and mix well. It will get very tough and just like bread you will want to knead it until it is no longer sticky. I should also add that I added the melted marshmallows to about 3/4 the bag of powdered sugar. I use the rest of the bag for my flat working surface that I am using to knead the "dough like" mixture

I cut my mixture into three parts because I am going to be making three colors. This is optional and you don't have to color the fondant at all. If you choose to color your fondant then what you will do is add the colors to the sections and knead it in. The  earlier you do this the better because the more you knead the tighter the Fondant gets.

Here it is.......My Fondant! You can wrap it in some clear wrap then add it to a freezer safe bag and store it in the freezer.

                                          Have any Questions??? Feel free to ask!!!
                                             Hope You Enjoyed this Post!!!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment